Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
MY DYER Story (PART 1)
FISH SQUAD CAPT. Offline

MY DYER Story (PART 1)
I wanted to share some history on a boat I see posted here on the site which I am fairly confident was my families boat from her commissioned date of 1973 into the 1980's when my father sold her to a gentleman from Rhode Island. The boat that I believe was ours was the boat pictured Paradise. I can assure you she has been modified from the way we had her built. Our boat's hull number I think was 113 or close to that. Our boat was a flush deck with a white mahogany windshield (Paradise has a white metal windshield now). She was molded in a color called Polar Blue with a white painted spray rail and red bottom paint. The decks were all light blue with teak trim and the front helm way to the cabin below was painted blue. She had a white soft top with removable side curtains and zip out openings in the front of the top for air circulation. We had the bow rail and pulpit option. (story to continue.) Old photos below.

My father's intentions with the boat was for fishing mostly, so she was outfitted with multiple rod holders. We had stern controls with a tiller and a folding fighting chair. The engine box was raised and had the cushions with a folding seat back and storage below. We had a teak locker/bench in the open deck area for storage and a folding swim ladder among other items mounted along the sides. The engine was a Merc-Cruiser 454 cu inch. with 350 H.P. fresh water cooling with twin exhaust. She would cruise easily at over 20 knots and topped out over 25 knots. We modified the prop from 4 blades to 3. This allowed her to get up on plane faster with better cruise speed and control (It was engineered for the boat by the Prop Co.). Our electronics during the time of ownership was limited to a fish finder with depth, a compass and a radio mounted below. The controls were Morse Twin with the optional SS Destroyer wheel and a folding seat. The boat also had an automatic fire extinguishing system mounted Port Side.
Down below she had a full galley with an ice box/cooler, double burner alcohol stove, fresh water pump sink and storage behind the counter and a small locker below. The head was simple with a foot pump control with on board storage tank...no shower on board. We had rod storage on the starboard side. We did not opt for the standard V-Berth shelves, we had storage bags made with zippers and clips to allow them to be removable totes.

In January 1974 she was in the N.Y. Boat Show before we took delivery of her. My father was given some nice incentives from Dyer to place the boat in the show. Unfortunately, the boat had to be taken back to Dyer in Warren to swap the motor out because the boat had the small block Merc-Cruiser displayed at the show. My father picked the boat up on April 15, 1974 on my birthday (unfortunately with out me) with two of his friends. They piloted the boat on Narraganset Bay with a small craft advisory all the way down to Connecticut, stayed overnight and fueled up. They came home to her Port in Larchmont, N.Y. the following morning.
She was in my mind one of the prettiest boats on the water and was complemented often. I spent many hours on her in all sorts of seas and I can assure you I have become intimately familiar with the Dyers positive attributes and her few idiosyncrasies. I will also tell you I miss her dearly and I am glad to she is still at sea. I will never forget all my families great memories with her.
(This post was last modified: 03-07-2017 08:54 PM by FISH SQUAD CAPT..)
03-07-2017 08:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Downeaster Offline

RE: MY DYER Story (PART 1)
Thank you!!

For sharing these terrific memories, what a wonderful post. It was fantastic to hear of your experiences and to learn a bit about this boat.

It must have been awesome to see a Dyer of that vintage fresh out of the factory.

Thanks again for sharing, and if you have any more photo's please share!

DownEaster
03-08-2017 10:22 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply